Saturday, March 29, 2014

Fly Boy storage upcycle


I recently streamed Flyboys on netflix and loved the graphics on the WWI French fighter planes.  

I also enjoyed the story line and... well...The Flyboys.
I had a old flatware storage box laying around and decided to upcycle it to a storage box.


All of the inside was removed . Note to self check the base of the box and remove the nails before attempting to rip out flatware brackets.  I scraped all of the residue out and made sure all the dust was removed.
Painted the box white with Southern Honey Blache and let dry completely.  I then used frog tape, determine where I wanted the edge of the stripes to be and taped burnishing the edges.  I then applied a loose coat of Southern Honey Maurice blue and opposite side Annie Sloan Emperors silk red.  While the paint was drying I cut a stencil with the Silhouette mimicking the number on the tail rudder of the graphics (found on pinterest) on the fighter plane decoupaged to the inner lid.


I cut a 8.5 x 11inch. sheet of map and ran it though the printer to add the Plane graphics.  I first attempted to print onto vellum then decoupage. This was a fail because the vellum really wrinkled up after the Modge Podge was applied.  Also apply Modge Podge with as little strokes as possible as not to smudge the ink.  Let a thin coat dry completely then add a thicker second.
The Box was sanded then a clear coat of Annie Sloan wax followed by a light coat of AS dark wax ..and 1000 grit buffing at the end.  This would look great with pens pencils , treasures or K cups on the kitchen counter . 





This was a easy quick project the most time was spent watching paint and glue dry.  
I hope this post finds you anticipating Spring.
Sheryl


Sharing with:
















16 comments:

  1. What a brilliant idea! I have a box just like that at home. This would be a great school holiday project!

    If you have a minute to spare I'd be thrilled if you could link up your post to my weekly Say G'Day Saturday party. It has just started and this would be a great addition.

    Best wishes,
    Natasha in Oz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am all linked up thank you for the invite...And the wonderful compliments ..Sheryl

      Delete
  2. This is so creative! Love the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lady..LOve it when play leads to inspiration

      Delete
  3. Hi Sheryl, what a great transformation. Love your use of maps and the image of the old plane on the inside.. Beautiful work... Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cathy...So glad you stopped by..You have a good day.

      Delete
  4. This is so amazingly cool!! I just picked up some random box that shape--I think it held knives and I am totally copying you! Well-as best as I can :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just know it will look fab!!! Make sure you share...thanks for the kind words and I hope that I see you here again.. Sheryl

      Delete
  5. Very clever! Your box turned out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for stopping by Sarah and for the kind words. You have a good one...Sheryl

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, that is what you do with all those silverware chests lying about in the thrift shops! Wonderful repurpose - love the paint, patina, and graphics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by...and yes this a great way to up cycle the double deckers are really fun...I hope you have enjoyed this SC sunshine today....Sheryl

      Delete
  8. What a great idea!! Thanks for sharing this on DIY Sunday Showcase! Have a great week!!

    Shelly- minettesmaze.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness what a fantastic project... love the maps inside and the paint outside! Thanks so much for sharing it at Project Inspire{d}!

    ReplyDelete